History

  • 1921 – A meeting of villagers appointed a committee to use funds raised within the village to establish and maintain a Village Hall.
  • 1926 – The original Recreation Hall (a wooden building) was erected on land that had been conveyed from Wigginton Parish Council in 1925.
  • 1969 – A disastrous fire destroyed the wooden building on 24th July, though the adjacent Church Hall was saved.
  • 1970 – The Hall was rebuilt as a brick structure on the same footprint as before.
  • 1981 – The Hall’s kitchen was extended and a Committee Room and storeroom were created.
  • 1984 – The wooden Church Hall was replaced by a further extension of the Recreation Hall (the St. Nicholas Room).
  • 1988 – An extension providing a new entrance hall and extended toilets was added.
  • 2007 – An accessible toilet and additional storeroom were added to the east end of the building.
  • 2014 – Following a series of rainwater leaks and consequent damage, the Hall’s roof was renewed.
  • 16th July 2016 – Celebration of 90 years of service to the local community!